Thunderbird - no option to delete archived messages

I archived my Thunderbird messages earlier than a certain date. Now I can’t see any option either before or after running the archive to delete the archived messages from my Thunderbird profile. What am I missing?

Unless I misunderstand what you are asking, actually deleting the messages from the Thunderbird profile falls from within the Thunderbird program itself, not MailStore.

The Mailstore documentation says that there should be an option in Advanced Profile Settings to delete messages from the client (Thunderbird) once they have been archived. It goes on to say that although messages can be deleted from the client, it is safer to allow Mailstore to do it, as it will only delete messages that have actually been successfully archived.

So yes, I think you misunderstood what I was asking.:slightly_smiling_face:

(Thanks for replying.)

The relevant help is here:
https://help.mailstore.com/en/home/Email_Archiving_with_MailStore_Home_Basics#:~:text=source%20system%20directly.-,Functionality,archiving%20profile%20has%20been%20finished.

in the paragraph Deleting Emails after Archiving.

I’m not sure what this rider means:
“With MailStore Home, it is not possible to delete emails from source systems that have not been previously archived.”

Hi Jeff,

You’re totally correct that you should be able to delete messages at source - in this case Thunderbird.
One of the exceptions is Gmail - where it’s not recommended or feasible,because Gmail treats it differently

What it means is, that this is a safeguard to prevent deletion of not yet archived mail and ties in with
the previous statement : "It goes on to say that although messages can be deleted from the client, it is safer to allow Mailstore to do it, as it will only delete messages that have actually been successfully archived."

Peter E.

So it seems you’re agreeing with me, but I’m no further forward. I think we need someone from the MailStore support team to explain what is happening - but I guess there is no formal support for the Home edition. Just have to rely on good folk like yourselves.

Or does that statement mean that the emails have to have been first archived within Thunderbird itself? In which case it sort of defeats the object of MailStore.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I do agree with you,My problem-such as it is - is the fact that I don’t use Thunderbird
so it’s hard to simulate what you’re experiencing or rather, I don’t have time right now
to work with a test setup.

No. it means exactly what it says -

[quote=“DiggerP, post:4, topic:1562”]
It goes on to say that although messages can be deleted from the client, it is safer to allow Mailstore to do it, as it will only delete messages that have actually been successfully archived."
[/quote] meaning in MSH

Running out of time here - sorry
Will try to pick this up later

Peter E.

Very grateful for your time spent so far. Thanks.

AFAIK, deletion after archive is only available with a mail server connection. I too am a Thunderbird user, and message deletion is not available through MailStore Home.

Ah shame, but thanks for the confirmation. Sort of defeats the object of MailStore, but never mind.