Not able to able to set the archive folder from the backup

Please help. When I am trying to set the mailstore from my backup, the error message like the following is coming up:

The directory selected does not contain a MailStore Home archive. Please select the directory that contains the MailStore.xml and MailStoreMaster.fdb files.

Dear ubaisali,

how did you backup your MailStore Home data? Did you use the internal backup feature shipped with MailStore Home, or did you use an external solution?

The MailStore Home directory would usually have been placed in “…documents\MailStore Home”, where you would find a sum of x.dat files, and also those important files like in this example:

grafik

Does your backup folder look similar?

Help. I have the same type of error.
Could not open master database in C: \ Users \ Sony Vaio \ Documents \ MailStore Home. A database error has occurred. Code: 335544373. Details: operating system directive CreateFile failed.
I use windows 10 professional
Thank you

I have not used the internal backup feature. I just have the backup of the mailstore home directory.

I had to reinstall the mailstore home application due to an OS Crash. I had the backup of the document folder. On reinstalling, I tried to select the archive as the earlier directory, but it is not working.

So please advise me, how can I recover my archived mails. It is very important for me to recover the mails. Please help me.

Hi Giovanni and ubaisali,

let us keep this separate as long as we cannot be sure this is the exact same issue.

This seems to be an access rights issue.
Your operating system does not allow write access to the files.
Please close MailStore Home.
Can you check whether the folder MailStore Home in your documents folder is not set to readyonly?
Also, your current user should be granted full access rights. This can be manged by right clicking on that folder, Preferences, Security, then modify or add your user name and tick full access.
Start MailStore Home again and check.

This still hints to the situation where not all files necessary can be found in this folder, so MailStore Home does not detect a former archive store in it. Did you check whether the files I showed in my earlier post can be found in the folder you recovered? Did you copy this folder back to your current documents folder?
Please make sure that MailStore Home is closed while you copy and modify files, as they would be locked and accessed when it is running, preventing all files to be replaced or modifyed.

Thanks for the reply. I verified the access rights to the folder and files and the presence of files recommended by Ubaisali. The files are all present and are not write-protected.
The error persists.
I attach the log file:

$MailStoreDebugLog/2.0
	Product Name:        MailStore Home
	Product Version:     11.2.0.13732
	App Build Date:      2018-09-21
	App Copyright:       Copyright (c) 2005-2018 MailStore Software GmbH
	App Description:
	App Dir:             C:\Program Files (x86)\MailStore\MailStore Home
	App File Name:       C:\Program Files (x86)\MailStore\MailStore Home\MailStoreHome.exe
	App Title:           MailStore
	Operating System:    Windows 10 Enterprise x64
	OS Bitness:          x64
	Process Bitness:     x86
	Is Mono:             False
	Is Windows:          True
	.NET 4 Release Key:  461808
	.NET CLR Version:    4.0.30319.42000
	Proc Culture:        it-IT
	Proc UI Culture:     it-IT
	Machine Name:        DESKTOP-OG8SJEQ
	User Domain Name:    DESKTOP-OG8SJEQ
	User Name:           Sony Vaio
12:08:31.692 [9] INFO: Opening existing archive at C:\Users\Sony Vaio\Documents\MailStore Home...
12:08:31.713 [9] INFO: Checking if the archive directory exists...
12:08:31.713 [9] INFO: Acquiring exclusive access to the archive via 'MailStore.lock'...
12:08:31.715 [9] INFO: Checking if the archive descriptor file 'MailStore.xml' exists...
12:08:31.715 [9] INFO: Reading the archive descriptor file 'MailStore.xml'...
12:08:31.715 [9] INFO: Checking version...
12:08:31.716 [9] INFO: Unique ID is 'a4f15104-9a73-4196-9c65-71247f8c9c6e'.
12:08:31.716 [9] INFO: Initializing MailStoreMaster.key.
12:08:31.760 [9] INFO: Windows Event Log: Writing of key file: C:\Users\Sony Vaio\Documents\MailStore Home\MailStoreMaster.key successfully written.
12:08:31.770 [9] INFO: Closing archive...
12:08:31.770 [9] INFO: Closing all open file groups...
12:08:31.770 [9] INFO: Closing 'MailStore.lock'...
12:08:31.770 [9] INFO: The archive has been closed.
12:08:31.772 [9] INFO: Lockfile C:\Users\Sony Vaio\Documents\MailStore Home\MailStore.lock deleted.
12:08:31.772 [9] EXCEPTION: MailStore_.Open
	FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbException: operating system directive CreateFile failed
	   in FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbConnectionInternal.Connect()
	   in FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbConnection.Open()
	   in MailStore.Storage.FirebirdEmbedded.FirebirdEmbeddedDatabase.#cRl(String #vP)
	   in MailStore.Storage.MailStore_.#3tf(String #vP, ProductType #h4e, #kVe #Tcg, Func`1 #Q2l, Action`1 #Wdn, Func`1 #Xdn, Byte[] #p1l, String #Tbf, Boolean #aGn, Boolean #Ucg)

*** Inner Exception ***
	FirebirdSql.Data.Common.IscException: operating system directive CreateFile failed
	   in FirebirdSql.Data.Client.Native.FesDatabase.ProcessStatusVector(IntPtr[] statusVector)
	   in FirebirdSql.Data.Client.Native.FesDatabase.Attach(DatabaseParameterBuffer dpb, String dataSource, Int32 port, String database)
12:08:31.775 [1] EXCEPTION: HomeApplication.CreateOrOpenDatabase
	System.Exception: Impossibile aprire il database master in C:\Users\Sony Vaio\Documents\MailStore Home. Si è verificato un errore di database. Codice: 335544373. Dettagli: operating system directive CreateFile failed
	   in #D0c.#Kqm.#Hqm(Int32 #Iqm, Action #Jqm)
	   in MailStore.Home.HomeApplication.#Q0c(String #d4, #vGk #H8f, Byte[]& #p1l, Boolean #Trm)
	   in MailStore.Home.HomeApplication.#L0c(#vGk #H8f, Byte[]& #p1l)

*** Preserved Stack Trace ***
	   in MailStore.Storage.MailStore_.#3tf(String #vP, ProductType #h4e, #kVe #Tcg, Func`1 #Q2l, Action`1 #Wdn, Func`1 #Xdn, Byte[] #p1l, String #Tbf, Boolean #aGn, Boolean #Ucg)
	   in MailStore.Home.HomeApplication.#1zl.#Urm()
	   in #D0c.#Kqm.#OKl.#Nqm()

*** Inner Exception ***
	FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbException: operating system directive CreateFile failed

*** Inner Exception ***
	FirebirdSql.Data.Common.IscException: operating system directive CreateFile failed
	   in FirebirdSql.Data.Client.Native.FesDatabase.ProcessStatusVector(IntPtr[] statusVector)
	   in FirebirdSql.Data.Client.Native.FesDatabase.Attach(DatabaseParameterBuffer dpb, String dataSource, Int32 port, String database)

12:08:31.775 [1] EXCEPTION: Caller of MessageDlg.Exception
	System.Exception: Impossibile aprire il database master in C:\Users\Sony Vaio\Documents\MailStore Home. Si è verificato un errore di database. Codice: 335544373. Dettagli: operating system directive CreateFile failed
	   in #D0c.#Kqm.#Hqm(Int32 #Iqm, Action #Jqm)
	   in MailStore.Home.HomeApplication.#Q0c(String #d4, #vGk #H8f, Byte[]& #p1l, Boolean #Trm)
	   in MailStore.Home.HomeApplication.#L0c(#vGk #H8f, Byte[]& #p1l)

in MailStore.Home.HomeApplication.#1zl.#Urm()
	   in #D0c.#Kqm.#OKl.#Nqm()

*** Inner Exception ***

*** Inner Exception ***

RESOLVED :slight_smile:

It seems I solved the problem! I ran the program “as administrator” and it started!
Thanks for the attention.

Hello Giovanni,

so there actually is an access rights isssue.
Are you logged in as user “Sony Vaio”, which belongs to the user folder “C:\Users\Sony Vaio”?
Then you should have been allowed to access your own document files.

An administrator is of course granted much higher rights, so this works as a workaround,
but something is configured improperly in your user home folder preventing the respective user to access files randomly with full rights.

Hai Rebecca,

Please find the attached picture of my mailstore folder that I have backed up. You can just look at the files it has got. My mail store home application is not detecting the archive in this folder. Please advise me how to proceed further.

Wait a second, this is your actual folder you are trying start with MailStore Home?

It looks like a recovery folder with files at multiple dates.

In a usual archive folder, there would be this file for example:

MailStore.xml

No files with time stamps in the names are expected.
None of them has the correct name format to be detected as a valid archive file.

I am not sure you can actually “repair” this folder by removing (2017....) parts from each file,
where every file has to exist only once in the original, all dat and fdb files from the same second.

What brand of backup restored all historical files into one folder?

I looks, to me, like a folder freom the Windows “File History”. These do not seem to have a ‘restore’ option.
I suggest that one should first select ALL the relevant files, and copy them to a new folder called something like ‘MS_temp’, on the C or D drive (away from the ‘File History’ lot),
and then experiment on the copies.
It is (labourious but) possible to remove the “(2017…UTC)”, by renaming the files. This changes the “Date Created” but not the “Date Modified”. One could then carefully select what seem to be the appropriate ones, and copy them again to a new folder somewhere that MailStore can find, and try them.
Granted, that would be a lot of work that might not work.

This is my first post so not sure if I should start a new thread rather than piggyback on this one?

I have the same message as ‘ubaisali’ when I try and access my archived messages in MailStore Home.
Having archived all my Windows Mail messages successfully on my old computer (and being able to search all archived mail as expected) I want to transfer the archive to a new computer.

I have exported all the files to an external drive. When the external drive is attached to my new computer and I attempt to open the MailStore archive I get the same pop up message that ‘ubisali’ reported. However as can be seen from the screen grab of my MailStore folder everything that Rebecca suggested should be present is there.

I would appreciate help.

@PaulW
Hi Paul,

Most of the time you start a new thread , because your situation is different.
You could also search if an existing thread is more similar to your situation.
like eg. this one.

Let me know if you’re succesful with the transfer.

Peter.