Export mail metadata in list file (CSV)

Hi,
for my thesis I need to analyze large amounts of data stored in emails; which I have stored in several PST files.
I thought MailStore Home ability to archive them would be helpful, but got no luck so far.

My main goal would be extract some metadata from those emails (sender, subject, datetimes, etc) and also a calcolated filed based on the email body, hopefully.

Obviously MailStore uses a DB, but I couldn’t find the correct way to access it. I suppose this is a strongly discouraged pratice, which I understand.

Anyway I tried using the Export functionality, but it doesn’t offer a list view of metadata, just full content.

Since I saw on this forum that this kind of feature has been discussed a few time, I’d like to suggest it as a new feature.

Relevant links:

Thanks anyway, because this software is great! Congratulations to the whole team!

Yes, this is part of the security mechanisms.
The database is encrypted and only availbale through MailStore program methods.

This is the same security code shared with the big brothers, MailStore Server and MailStore SPE.
It prevents access violations and manipulation.
So you cannot access the database with a SQL client to fully browse its contents.

We haven’t expected that kind of mass analysis usage in MailStore Home.
To understand more precisely what you would need instead,
can you draw a picture with words about your scenario?
What data do you need for what purpose and where would it go?

2 Likes

Are there any further updates on this? I am doing research on my own social graph/network and I have loads of historical email in Mailstore Home that would be fantastic to just get the TO:, FROM:, CC:, BCC: meta-data from all my emails in the underlying Firebird database.

Why can’t we be given a feature to access the underlying Firebird database with a basic SQL client when I clearly have my encryption/decryption password? I really don’t even need access to the content (email body or attachments), but just the header of the email.

I would ask you to consider this feature. Right now, the data in this database is sort of being held in a black box and providing some API-level (or SQL-level) access to this would be extremely beneficial.

Hi @alphasupremicus,

the files themselves are encrypted, so they cannot be accessed externally, and this is for good reason.
Our commercial products offer features for legal and stronger requirements, such as tamper-safe archiving. If anyone would be able to access the database from the outside world, they could easily manipulate entries, such as rewriting mail contents. If there was no prevention, the products would be useless for any requirements concerning manipulation prevention.

This is fully intentional and necessary.

MailStore Home is based on our commercial products and not written from scratch.
That is part of why it is free to use.

1 Like