If your archiving process is canceled with the error message “The IMAP-Server has returned an error.”, this article might be of interest to you.
Symptom / Error:
The archiving process with a Yahoo!-mailbox is interrupted and MailStore Home is returning the IMAP error message: “The IMAP Server has returned an error”. In addition, you may see one of the following additional messages together with the error message:
- UID FETCH Temporary failure on server [CODE: WBL] (NO).
- UID FETCH Server error while fetching messages (NO).
- UID FETCH Server error -Please try again later (NO).
- UID FETCH Rate limit hit (NO).
Analysis / Background:
This is a known error message when you are trying to archive from a Yahoo!-mailbox.
In addition, this message can also be seen when a connection is interrupted exactly after one hour.
Unfortunately “Yahoo!” tend to slow down the client connection for IMAP and POP3, with a random error message. When using MailStore Home this may lead to a failure when archiving the currently processed folder.
Solution / Workaround:
There are few items you may want to review and test to resolve or workaround the symptom:
- In order to successfully archive a “Yahoo!” mailbox or emails from another provider, the process may need to be started several times. Eventually, since MailStore Home recognizes already archived emails, the process will finish successfully.
- In case this does not help, you should set up multiple archiving profiles, where each profile archives only a subset of the folder structure. This will actually split the amount of time the archiving takes per archiving profile.
- Finally, you have an option to split folders where you have a huge amount of emails stored in several folders with smaller amounts. This will reduce the folder sizes and speed up the archive time. Additional remarks and information:
Further Reading and Information
- Product Version: all versions
- MailStore Knowledgebase: Known symptoms when archiving Yahoo mailboxes